Search Engine Optimization (SEO) consists of using a combination of techniques to tell search engines (Google, Yahoo! Search, Bing, etc.) about the content and value of your web pages.
Search engines are designed to find the page that best satisfies the searcher's goals. Giving the right information to search engines, in the way they will best understand it, increases the probability that potential clients will quickly find your web site!
The world of SEO is complex but we recommend you take the time to understand SEO basics. Here is a great way to start: The Beginners Guide to SEO.
Basic SEO standards that we incorporate into each web design project include these items:
- Strategic use of title tags and description tags
- Strategic use of other properties (headings, alt text, etc.) in content pages
- Use text-based navigation
- Plan so that each page has unique content
- Write easy-to-read content that is valuable to the reader
- Include top keyword phrases in the anchor text of your outbound and inbound links
- Work with our clients to obtain relevant inbound links
- Update the web site regularly with new content
- Use tools such as Google's Page Speed Insights to identify ways to make the site faster and more mobile-friendly (read more about this)
The field of SEO is huge and there are many ways to analyze your existing web site and your competition's sites. Depending on your schedule, your desire to learn SEO and the complexity of your website(s), you may choose to hire an expert to handle SEO analysis. We work with SEO experts employed by our clients and implement their recommendations.